Our international practice advises U.S. and overseas companies in cross-border transactions including acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, securities offerings, partnerships and other investments. Our international practice extends principally throughout the Middle East, U.K.
and India but also in North Africa. The firm also advises international financial institutions
and companies on establishing a corporate presence in the United States.
Advising U.S. and foreign clients on accessing U.S. and overseas opportunities, accounts for almost half of the firm’s work.
Relationships with foreign firms
To assist our clients in meeting their international goals, we have established deep and diverse relationships with many pre-eminent American and foreign law firms in the world’s major business centres, using a “best practice” referral philosophy, to provide our clients with access to the most appropriate legal counsel referrals in over 15 countries. We work closely with top quality lawyers in these firms to bring together multi-disciplinary and multi-jurisdictional teams to handle cross-border transactions and provide other international legal services to our clients.
International experience of our lawyers
All of our lawyers’ practices have an international dimension. Many of our lawyers are dual-qualified and some have practiced U.S. law in various overseas locations, including the U.K., Dubai, Kuwait, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi, India and Hong Kong. Others started their careers abroad or are admitted to foreign bars, including the U.K., Kuwait and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The attorneys in our office are fluent in over 8 languages including Arabic, French, German, Hindi and Urdu.
- Advised Fairfax, an international investment bank, on its $208.6 million acquisition of Gulf Insurance Company K.S.C. (Gulf Insurance), from KIPCO Projects (Holding) Company.
- Advised Praxair Inc. as U.S. counsel, on its acquisition of Refrigeration Oxygen Limited Company WLL in Kuwait and its subsidiary Qatari Oxygen Company WLL in Qatar.
- Advised a group of industrial investors in relation to structuring and financing a petrochemical derivatives complex in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia.
- Advised National Petrochemical Industrialization Company (Tasnee Petrochemicals) in relation to a joint venture with Basell to establish a $500 million propylene-polypropylene petrochemical plant in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised a major Saudi group in connection with a joint venture with a major U.A.E. group to establish a chain of supermarkets, including licensing arrangements with a leading European retailer.
- Sino Gold Mining Limited in connection with its US$90 million acquisition of a 72% interest in an exploration license covering a gold deposit in China.
- Advised Bestway (Holdings) Limited, U.K.’s second largest grocery wholesaler, on its acquisition of Batley Limited.
- Advising GK Foods (UK) Limited on its purchase of WT (Holdings) Limited.
- Assisted Roxburghe plc, a leading debt collecting agency in the UK, on its £13.5 million purchase of ManDebt (UK) Limited.
- Advising Shed Productions plc on its £17.5 million acquisition of Ricochet Limited.
- Advised Allied Healthcare International Inc. on its £47 million ($73 million) acquisition of Southern Cross Healthcare Group, a leading Western European provider of healthcare services, and its £23.5 million ($38 million) acquisition of Midland Healthcare Limited, a U.K. based operator of nursing homes.
- Advised CintiTech AG on its £34.5 million purchase of Thermopol International Limited, a global designer/producer of high-performance silicon rubber hoses (with operations in the UK, USA, Romania and Korea).
- Advised Danaher Corporation’s and its U.K. subsidiary, Launchcharge Limited, on its joint venture with Danfoss A/S, a Denmark based manufacturer of sensor products for the industrial controls market.